Monday, June 12, 2017

Race Report: Hotlanta Half Marathon

Summary
The Hotlanta Half was something very new to me that I have been wanting to do for a long time: to give someone else a great race day by pushing a wheelchair-bound person through a race.  I had the pleasure of pushing a wonderful girl by the name of Sierra 13 miles up and down through the city.  This was easily the most difficult but most rewarding race I've ever completed.

Training
Other than my normal stroller running, I didn't do anything special to prepare myself.  While that's better than nothing, logging zero time on hills while pushing was my biggest mistake.  Anyone who is looking to push in a race around Atlanta should try to get at least some time in on the hills, both up hill and down, to get used to it.

Pre-Race
For whatever reason, I had it in my head all week that the race started at 7:30.  A even mentioned it to me the day before and I argued that it was 7:30 (and never bothered to double check).  Turns out it started at 7.  Good thing I was aiming to show up "an hour early".  I got there around 6;20 and found out I had a lot less time to get ready than I thought.  Not a big deal.  Our team of three had assembled: a good running friend of mine and a guy who had run with this group for a while.

We rolled our way over to the start and got going through the city.
Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, outdoor

Race
I had the first shift on the stroller and I started out way too fast.  The first mile took us up along Centennial park, past Mercedes Benz Stadium, and then started to head towards turner field.  I handed off to Courtney and my legs were already feeling a little like jello.  Not where you want to be after mile 1 of a half marathon.

The marathon leader overtook us shortly after I handed off the Courtney.  In about 1.25 miles, this guy made up a 3 minute gap.  He was flying.  We wouldn't see second place for at least another minute or two.

When Eric took his first shift, I got a little taste of what I hope running with me is like.  We hit a really long downhill on the back side of Turner field and he took off with Sierra.  It was amazing to watch him accelerate down the hill.  For those of you who haven't run with me, this is something I do all the time when I'm pacing people.  It's one of the ways to play games and have fun while I'm not racing.

My second turn with the chair was about as hilly as the first.  From a few blocks beyond Turner field, back up the hill towards the Olympic rings.  I was hoping to make it all the way TO the rings, but had to get Courtney to take over right when my watched ticked off the mile.

We wound around Atlanta a bit going through parts that I recognized from the Thanksgiving Half.  When going through water stops, it was great getting the volunteers to cheer for our captain as we went through.

My next stint pushing was on the beltline.  The course runs the length of it towards Piedmont park, so it's a nice long 2 mile or so downhill.  Much more favorable than the first few legs.  BONUS because I knew our ATC Run Lead Crew were going to be waiting for us at the Old 4th Ward Skatepark.  Angelina had the little guy out there cheering for all the crowds going by.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

 Beyond the beltline, I really don't remember a whole lot.  We went up 10th, and eventually circled back into Piedmont and exited on 12th.  Really, whoever designed this course picked the most challenging parts of the Publix and Thanksgiving courses and found a way to hit them all.

I attempted to take a shift going up 12th, but couldn't manage much more than a walk with the chair.  Courtney tried to joint-push it with me, but eventually just took it.  My legs were completely shot.  Cardio-wise, I was fine, I just had no strength left.  I spent the next miles trying to recover and was able to take a half mile stint through Georgia Tech, but some stinking PF-like pain in my heel hobbled me up the last hill.

With great encouragement from my teammates, I managed a final push over the last quarter and we all got Sierra across the line.

Post Race
We got water and headed back to the tent area.  Both my teammates expressed concern for me, but I was unhurt, just had very weak and tired legs.  Sierra's parents thanked us for running with her.

Conclusion
Pushing a chair through a race is very demanding.  This was easily the hardest race I've ever run, and I only had the chair for 3-4 miles.  Getting to see the excitement on the captains faces and see how happy it made their parents was an awesome feeling.  I'm not sure I want to make this a regular thing; but I do want to do this again.  I'm not sure that Hotlanta is a course I would want to do this on again.

10/10, one of the best race experiences I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment